Re: Which Linux?

On February 16, 2014 6:32:24 AM EST, Ottavio Caruso
<ottavio2006-usenet2012%yahoo.com@localhost> wrote:
>On 16 February 2014 12:19, Thomas Mueller <mueller6724%bellsouth.net@localhost>
>wrote:
>> If one has an actual Linux installation on a different disk or
>different partition, could that be used for Linux emulation?
>>
>> Mount on /emul/linux ?
>
>Good question. And if I can piggy back on his, is it advisable to
>create a symlink to /usr/pkg/emul/linux ?

For the most part, unix doesn't care what physical disk a directory resides on,
as long as it shows up in the filesystem namespace in the correct way, so sure,
you can mount it from a separate filesystem.

/usr/pkg/emul/linux is where the linux files end up if you install the pkgsrc
packages, but the kernel is hard coded to look in /emul/linux, so you *need* to
have the symlink present in that case.
If you're doing something different, such as mounting an actual full linux
filesystem on /emul/linux, then obviously it can't be a symlink, although if
you're going to be playing around with different versions, or different
locations, you might want to mount it elsewhere and then just change the
symlink.

Eric