Re: Scanning and printing on USB printer/scanner combination

Am Sonntag, den 16.02.2014, 07:48 -0500 schrieb Greg Troxel:
> Moritz Wilhelmy <mw+netbsd%barfooze.de@localhost> writes:
>
> > is there a way to enable both scanning and printing on the same
> > scanner/printer combo device?
> >
> > I have a Samsung CLX-3185 which is currently attached to /dev/ulpt0.
> > However, SANE is unable to find it there so I'm guessing I have to
> > recompile the kernel with the ulpt disabled so that it won't attach and
> > the printer will attach itself as a generic USB device.
>
> It seems that multi-function devices often need manufacturer-specific
> drivers.

I think you are right... There is a Linux-driver available for Samsung
devices...

> Omitting ulpt0 is a good plan; then perhaps cups or something can use
> libusb to ugen.  HP printers seem to work better that way.

I tried to get my HP Photosmart Premium C309a work on my NetBSD computer
with the hplip- package some month ago but wasn't able to get it work.

Does somebody got a HP AIO device to work properly? It would be nice to
know how to do a working setup on NetBSD...

> > Will printing still be possible? (In this case, does the ulpt0 device
> > even make sense to be enabled by default in the GENERIC kernel?)
>
> That's a tough call.  Some devices work better with ulpt0; we probably
> really need a giant quirk table that chooses ulpt0 for devices that
> don't have a better option.  So far this hasn't happened, I think due to
> lack of anyone spending enough time.

Greetings,
Helge