Re: Emacsen segfaulting on startup

On Wed, Feb 05, 2014 at 12:47:07PM +0100, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> On my older laptop I don't have pkgsrc though and I install binary
> packages, thus it appears that all [x]emacs binary packages are either
> compiled wrongly or broken in some other regards.

Emacsen do a strange "unexec" during their build - basically they init
the full lisp machine and then dump core, turn the core into a new
executable and name that emacs. This step seems to be "non portable",
in the sense that it is only guaranteed to work on the local machine.

I call this a design bug in the unexec process.

Martin