Re: Xfburn

Hi,

(sorry for not having the message id to reply to)

Freddy Fisker wrote:
> Why don't NetBSD have the Xfburn to burn CD and DVD?

Probably at least because libburn does not yet know how to
perform SCSI transactions ("passthrough") on NetBSD.
(It has a system adapter for FreeBSD which uses CAM:
   cam_open_device(), cam_send_ccb(), ...
 There are also adapters for Linux SG_IO and Solaris uscsi.)

I am the developer of libburn.
If there is info about how to find the CD drives of the system,
and how to perform SCSI command transactions from userspace,
then i would begin to implement a system adapter for NetBSD.
A courageous tester with real hardware would be needed then.

We could port libburn, test it by porting cdrskin, port libisofs,
test it by porting libisoburn to get xorriso, and then XFCE
experts could have a look at any remaining GUI obstacles of
Xfburn.

One could get an overview of obstacles outside SCSI code and
Xfburn's own code, by compiling
  http://www.gnu.org/software/xorriso/xorriso-1.3.4.tar.gz
which should build by
  cd xorriso-1.3.4 && ./configure && make
but will not be able to operate optical drives by SCSI
transactions. (It still can make bootable ISO images, then.)

Please notify me by direct mail, if there is interest in this.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas