Re: Make USB/SCSI delay to avoid timeouts?

> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 09:16:07PM +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > Problems with USB device timeouts in NetBSD relate to USB sticks,
> > keyboard and mouse.

> If you really want any of this fixed, you need to file a PR for each
> separately. Including dmesg output (with the timeout message)
> and (if not obivous from that) the name of the device in questions, plus
> additional information like: only happens if plugged in at boot / does
> also happen when plugging the device later.

> Martin

I had the screenblanking problem in 2011 with AMD/ATI Rage r128 graphics card,
and that was never fixed.

If I thought it was worth the time and trouble, I'd file PRs, but that is
likely to be just an exercise in frustration.

Clearly, the only open-source OSes suitable for productive full-time use on my
hardware are Linux and FreeBSD.

NetBSD makes the next best attempt, OpenBSD and DragonFlyBSD can't access my
hard drive; neither could OpenIndiana as of September 2011.

Now the latest update from source has rendered USB-stick installations of
NetBSD-current amd64 and i386 nonbootable; that dates to late last December.

Now being busy with FreeBSD and Linux figures to keep me away from NetBSD.

Reason for my recent upsurge of interest in NetBSD was re(4) driver in FreeBSD
not working on MSI Z77 MPOWER motherboard, though now I use wi-fi in FreeBSD
with Hiro H50191 USB-stick wireless adapter, device rsu.  re(4) works on this
motherboard only for Linux and NetBSD, same bug for OpenBSD and DragonFlyBSD as
with FreeBSD.  I was able to build devel/subversion from pkgsrc on
NetBSD-current amd64 and use that to checkout and update FreeBSD src, doc and
ports trees but now I can use the Hiro H50191.  NetBSD with subversion can
download and update directly to FreeBSD UFS2/ffsv2 partition.

I would still like to see, if possible, if xhci and athn work on this
motherboard, but I can go to Linux if I can't run NetBSD, or even if I can run
NetBSD-current.  Linux and FreeBSD support USB 3.0.

Preconfigured device nodes, as opposed to dynamic device nodes in FreeBSD and
Linux, are a nuisance.  All I have to do is add one more GPT partition to hard
drive, and NetBSD USB-stick installations won't find a dk node for mounting
root.  How many users of Linux and FreeBSD want to go back to preconfigured
device nodes of NetBSD or OpenBSD such as Linux and FreeBSD had years back?

But NetBSD and possibly OpenBSD source code for drivers re and athn may be
useful to compare and possibly port to FreeBSD.

> now I don't understand at all what your problem is.

> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost>

Problem was with error/problem messages on console in NetBSD-current amd64 with
USB stick and USB keyboard and mouse device timeouts.

Tom