Re: I need a tool to manipulate a large pdf file

    From: Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012%yahoo.com@localhost> [140105
03:12]
    Hello,

    I have a book in the form of a large pdf file (over 500 pages) which I
    would like to convert into many plain text files, to be used on a
    cheap portable mp3/mp4 reader. The pdf was not scanned, it's the
    original pdf that came from the publisher but pdf is not supported by
    the reader. Of course I could buy a proper e-book reader but that
    would be for later on.

    So what I would ideally like to do is:

    - split the pdf into many pdf files according to bookmarks (chapters)
    - convert the resulting pdf's into nicely formatted plain txt files,
    preserving some sort of formatting.

    The book does not contain advanced graphics but a few simple tables.

    I've spent the whole day trying all free online tools but they all
    produced nasty results.

    I am not sure if this is possible on Netbsd (I know it's possible on
    other platforms with very expensive proprietary applications) but I
    hope you can help.

    Thanks

    --
    Ottavio

For such cases I just convert the files with pdftotext. If its just a
single book it should not be a huge effort to split the resulting file
into one textfile a chapter - I would simply use a text editor.

Just with the tables you will have no luck. But even simple ones are
anyway to complex to make an ascii table out of them.

Cheers
herb langhans