I need a tool to manipulate a large pdf file

Hello,

I have a book in the form of a large pdf file (over 500 pages) which I
would like to convert into many plain text files, to be used on a
cheap portable mp3/mp4 reader. The pdf was not scanned, it's the
original pdf that came from the publisher but pdf is not supported by
the reader. Of course I could buy a proper e-book reader but that
would be for later on.

So what I would ideally like to do is:

- split the pdf into many pdf files according to bookmarks (chapters)
- convert the resulting pdf's into nicely formatted plain txt files,
preserving some sort of formatting.

The book does not contain advanced graphics but a few simple tables.

I've spent the whole day trying all free online tools but they all
produced nasty results.

I am not sure if this is possible on Netbsd (I know it's possible on
other platforms with very expensive proprietary applications) but I
hope you can help.

Thanks

--
Ottavio