Re: Old thinkpad and X11, 6.1.2 update

Hi,

On 11/12/13 10:01, Brett Lymn wrote:
On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 12:47:06AM +0100, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
I can even do the following, most of the time it works

1) start with card plugged in, computer boots, network configured, start
X, black screen, it hangs... pull out the PCMCIA card, it will recover
and display a working X

What happens if you start X without it listening on the network:

startx -- -nolisten tcp

that should disable X listening on a network interface.  This means you
won't be able to remote display clients to the server but it may allow
you to start an X server and use it locally.
Good suggestion. I tried that, no help. It still waits with a black screen,if I pull out the net-card, X appears, as before.

I also noticed that if I pass a wrong parameter (I got the dashes wrong at my first attempt) startx / X do hang, then I pull out the network card, it unhangs and just quits and spits out the message that the command option was invalid. Somehow strange.

Life without X11 is boring :) The only thing which I could still try is to leave the network card in, but remove/rename the ifconfig.xx0 file.

Riccardo