Re: steam

On 14 October 2013 16:58, <pevnia%hushmail.com@localhost> wrote:
Has anyone had any luck getting the linux version of steam running under netbsd?  I changed the script to use gtar instead of tar, removed the -e flag from readlink and changed --mode= to -m.  I am now getting an error about arch not being installed and while it is in pkgsrc it seems to

arch just indicates the processor architecture. Its similar to 'uname -p'.

lack a makefile.  It also complains about sw_vers which is not in pkgsrc.
Both seem to appear only on osx and I am confused as to why they would be in the linux version.

They are being run because steam.sh has a block like:

UNAME=`uname`
if [ "$UNAME" == "Linux" ]; then
    [...]
else # if [ "$UNAME" == "Darwin" ]; then
    [...]

where NetBSD is falling through to the 'else'

Adding 'NetBSD' to the if case, and replacing the naked 'mktemp' calls with 'mktemp -t tmp.XXXXXXXXXX' gets to at least to see the T&C, and then fails with missing libraries

After it attempts to install running '~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam' actually opens an 'Updating Steam' dialog (in turquoise with green buttons), which downloads 206M, tries to extract and.... dies - with what appears to be "epoll_ctl failed with error 38"

This is on NetBSD-6/amd64 with a selection of 32bit Linux compat libs. Its possible the Linux compat in -current is better... but I suspect even if steam ran most of the games would not, and anything which needed 3D would be... not fun.

Still, I'm actually surprised it made it that far :)