Re: imap configuration

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 10:57:25AM -0500, Michael Parson wrote:
> >I guess this is all obvious once you know it, but if there's a "how to
> >get started with port 587" guide, that would be really helpful.
>
> Personally, I'd go with port 993 (imaps), imap over ssl.

Dovecot (the IMAP server) and all modern mail clients will use
"STARTTLS" in case of IMAP over port 143 and enable encryption
that wayt.

> That will have you up and running with a self-signed cert, which will
> throw warnings to your users depending on what clients they are running.
> If you don't want to deal with that, you'll need to jump through the
> additional hoops for getting a CA signed cert.

Getting a properly signed certificate is easy these days. You can
even get a free one for private use here:

        https://www.startssl.com/?app=12

A free certificate from StartSSL will be accepted by the usual mail
clients e.g. Thunderbird or iOS Mail.

        Kind regards