Re: imap configuration

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 02:52:51PM +0100, Steve Blinkhorn wrote:
> I have the need to configure my mail servers to accept remote mail
> from company smartphones, which will have unpredictable IP addresses
> at any given time.

Not a problem, see below.

> As I understand it, this is best done using port 587 ...

I would recommend to support both port 25 and 587.

> ... and a suitably configured imapd, but it is not clear to me whether
> stock imapd can do  the job.

What you really need is SMTP authentication. It however happens that
Dovecot, a very good IMAP server, can also be used to add support
for SMTP authentication to Postfix, a very good Mail Transport Agent
and SMTP server.

> I get the impression that I need to build something like
> dovecot - but what is the difference between dovecot and dovecot2?

I would recommend to build Dovecot 2.x from "pkgsrc/mail/dovecot2".

> I guess this is all obvious once you know it, but if there's a "how to
> get started with port 587" guide, that would be really helpful.

Please refer to the Dovecot wiki or the Postfix documentation for
configuration examples:

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/PostfixAndDovecotSASL
http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#server_dovecot

I've got such a setup running on my mail server and it works very well.

        Kind regards