Re: NPF does not recognize npflog0

Thanks for you reply.

* Darrel (levitch%iglou.com@localhost) wrote:
> >Reloading NPF ruleset.
> >/etc/npf.conf:9:1: unknown interface 'npflog0' near '}'
> >related /etc/npf.conf
> >
> >procedure "log" {
> >   log: npflog0
> >}
> >
> >I also found that without explicit MAKEDEV, NPF would not find the device.
> >If I remember correctly, PF does not require such MAKEDEV.
> A file in /etc should fix it, you can name the file ifconfig.npflog0 and
> the file will have one word:
> create
I have already added /etc/ifconfig.npflog0 containing a word ``create''.
It didn't solve the problem.

> >And lkm disappears from 6.0; I believe that it will automatically load kmod
> >from /stand/i386/6.0/modules/.
> I am not sure what you mean by lkm disappears, perhaps someone else will.
What I mean is ...
Back to 5.1_STABLE, I added ``lkm=YES'' to /etc/rc.conf.
It will invoke /etc/rc.lkm, which in turn reads /etc/lkm.conf.
/etc/lkm.conf instructed rc script to modload module(s) resided in /usr/lkm/.
During etcupdate from 5.1_STABLE to 6.0_STABLE, it removed these lkm contents.
All modules are moved from /usr/lkm/ to /stand/i386/6.0/modules/.

> This I can show you from my /var/run/rc.log :
> Configuring network interfaces: bce0 npflog0.
> and
> Enabling NPF.
> eval: /usr/sbin/npfctl: not found
> eval: /usr/sbin/npfctl: not found
Mine are as followings.

Without MAKEDEV /dev/npf, on restart the following messages appear.

Configuring network interfaces: pcn0.
Enabling NPF.
npfctl: cannot open '/dev/npf': No such file or directory
npfctl: cannot open '/dev/npf': No such file or directory
/etc/rc.d/npf exited with code 1

Once after explicit MAKEDEV /dev/npf,

Configuring network interfaces: pcn0.
Enabling NPF.
/etc/npf.conf:9:1: unknown interface 'npflog0' near '}'

It only recognizes my ethernet card, pcn0, but not npflog0.

> Every time I must load NPF manually.  Probably should send this to
> Mindaugas if we do not find a response on the list.
On 5.1_STABLE, I used /etc/rc.lkm as described above to avoid manual modload.
But lkm is now removed.
I believe that they are automatically modload(ed), once rc script executes.

> Do you have "npfctl not found" in /var/run/rc.log, Pongthep?
Different warning messages, please see above.

Thanks,

--
Pongthep Kulkrisada

"UNIX is basically a simple operating system,
but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity."
-- Dennis M. Ritchie