Re: Guide like Linuxfromscratch on NetBSD?

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012, Tomas Bodzar wrote:

> One of the ways how to learn system. It just seems (to me) that LFS
> goes from lower level then build.sh

I agree it is interesting (and even useful) to understand the components
that build up a system.  The LFS guide covers a wide variety of software
from many different locations that require different build steps and
often custom patches or workarounds to make them all work together. The
order of these steps is also important. (I have built my own Linux
systems from scratch a few times, documented my many steps, and have
also read much of some older LFS guides.)  This is a significant
difference with NetBSD because most of the core code is maintained in a
single location, a single source tree. You don't need to do the LFS
dance: download from many different places, add patches, and do many
individual steps.

Nevertheless, it may be interesting still to understand how to setup a
lightweight NetBSD system without using build.sh and without doing an
entire src build. And also useful to understand how the all the core
components work together to boot up through a login to a shell prompt.
Is this something you'd like to work on (as a writer or reviewer)? If
so, feel free to contact me off-list.