ami kernel id

hi all...

pardon my ignorance on the subject.

it's my first time dealing with ami - amazon ec2. waited for the 6 release to come out to try netbsd on ec2. now it's there and i found the id of the build (ami-1400bf7d at http://wiki.netbsd.org/amazon_ec2/amis/ ). so far so good. now when going through the initial instance launch interface on amazon aws site i was given the option to select a kernel id. their brief explanation says:

Amazon EC2 provides user selectable kernels which enables you to select a kernel when bundling an AMI or launching an instance. User selectable kernels are useful for keeping your instances up to date with security fixes and updates, being able to use functionality provided by new distributions, and for using specialty applications that have unique timing requirements.
<<<<

my question is if ami-1400bf7d is also a kernel id or just a build id? i didn't find anything like ami-* on the list. i was planning to use the "default" option.

also are there any bsd kernel ids at all on the aws ec2 platform that are "kept up to date with security fixes and updates, being able to use functionality provided by new distributions, and for using specialty applications that have unique timing requirement" in general?

thanks...