Re: USB stick not recognized Re: Do you advise me to adopt NetBSD?

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 05:01:31PM +0400, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
> Pongthep Kulkrisada <ptkrisada%gmail.com@localhost> writes:
>
> > * herbert langhans (w3%langhans.com.pl@localhost) wrote:
> >> Yes, we had such a case that some certain type of USB-stick didnt work.
> >> It was my Kingston USB-to-MicroSD adapter.
> >>
> >> After announcing this problem on this mailing list I got in touch with a
> >> developer from Germany, Matthias Drochner. And in less then a week and
> >> after a few e-mails he sent me a link with the fixed and working kernel
> >> - already compiled. I still use this kernel and the Kingston USB-stick
> >> too.
> >>
> >> These patches are already a part of NetBSD 6.0, of course. Nothing to
> >> worry about!
> > Yes you are right.
> > I have tried my new Kingston usb stick. It works well with NetBSD 6.0_RC2.
> > Only my Verico usb 2.0 stick is not recognized.
>
> Details?
>

> --
> HE CE3OH...

Hi Aleksej,
about the patches and the fixes of the bug I know very little. Matthias
had got another USB-Stick what responds with:
umass0: Silicon Motion, Inc. Generic USB2.0 Device, rev 2.00/1.00
- this was the chip what made troubles (and is the same as in the
  Kingston MicroSD reader):
http://www.kingston.com/us/flash/microsd_cards#MBLY
- the small one for the keyring.

On the ftp-server of the Forschungszentrum he left me a compiled 5.1
kernel,
a drop-in replacement for my laptop. And he also sent the bugfix to the
other developers, NetBSD has 6.0 it already fixed.

For the sources please contact Matthias Drochner, he is the expert.

I can pass you our conversation (the e-mails are in German), but its
mainly about the kernel file, compiling and the dmesg-output (it is not
very valuable if you want to know the technical details).

Cheers
herb langhans