Re: hardware compatibility database

"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed%reedmedia.net@localhost> writes:

>> > Does this mean that I won't be able to read USB memory
>> > sticks or SD cards from NetBSD? If this is indeed the case,
>> > then it is a major limitation!!!
>> > Are external memory media the only problematic area, or
>> > may I also encounter problems with printers, scanners, etc?
>>
>> I have been using NetBSD since the late '90's, so I'll chime in.
>>
>> The vast majority of USB storage devices on the market are supported
>> in my experience. There are a few cases where something doesn't work
>> for whatever reason, but I think this is very rare. I've never
>> encountered it, I only read about it on the email lists.
>>
>> As far as other USB devices, I can't really say. The only ones I use
>> with any regularity are hubs and ethernet devices (wifi and wired),
>> which usually work just fine. I might use a bluetooth adapter once in
>> a while but I think I've only tried 2 of them and they both worked.
>
> This conversation reminded me that it would be very useful for me and
> our audience of potential and existing users to have a database listing
> hardware supported (or previously supported) by NetBSD. It could list
> hardware identifications, device drivers, links to details and
> documentation (man pages etc), when last verified, versions supported,
> etc.
>
> We do have lists of supported hardware within port-specific release
> notes.
>
> I have never used, but now I see: http://freebsd.0fees.net/ as an
> example.
>
> Also see this FreeBSD example:
> FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT Hardware Notes
> http://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/CURRENT/hardware/article.html
> It is pretty long. I wonder if there is a way we can generate this from
> existing information.
>
> And NYCBUG has a dmesg database:
> http://www.nycbug.org/?action=dmesgd
>
> Does NetBSD have any hardware compatibility list?
>
> Any thoughts on this?

We have "hardware compatibility database" already, although it isn't
maintained well enough. Our man pages are well above those of FreeBSD
and linux, but we need to add more information about hardware to them.
In particular, it isn't easy enough to get whether some new Intel NIC
supported and the quality of support. It isn't easy to learn whether
some Atheros or Intel WNIC supported or not. That in conjunction with
reasonably good search over man pages would cover most (if not all)
needs that hardware compatibility list is for.

Also, just dmesg database doesn't make much sense, since there's notably
less diversity in hardware parts than in complete computers.

--
HE CE3OH...