Re: Configuring SLIP interface to use mobile phone as modem

                        Hi there,

On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 00:45:58 +0530, Mayuresh wrote:

> My setup: NetBSD 6.0 rc1 on i386, Nokia N900 connected with USB cable.
[...]

I have a N900 too, and I can confirm that it emulates a serial line as
ucom(4), which you will typically reach on /dev/ttyU0 and configure with
PPP.

I have written a user-friendly interface to connect to teh intarwebs in
such a case, and it is packaged in wip/deforaos-phone.

Typical ~/.phone file for me: (update to match your provider)

=== BEGIN PASTE ===
modem=hayes
plugins=gprs,systray

[modem::hayes]
baudrate=460800
device=/dev/ttyU0
hwflow=1

[plugin::gprs]
apn=internet.eplus.de
attach=0
username=eplus
password=gprs
systray=1
=== END PASTE ===

In turn, deforaos-phone calls pppd, forwarding the traffic automatically.
For this to work, you need to create /etc/ppp/peers/phone as follows:

=== BEGIN PASTE ===
notty
defaultroute
local
noauth
usepeerdns
mru 296
mtu 296
=== END PASTE ===

That's all you should need for it to work. You can also enable logging,
debugging etc through the preferences (reachable with the systray icon).

There is additional goodness if you install wip/deforaos-panel, and play
with the "panel-notify" helper binary, together with the respective
"phone" and "panel" plug-ins. Screenshot:
http://www.defora.org/os/download/download/3698/phone-gprs.png

(it says GPRS but it works just the same with 3G)

HTH,
--
khorben