Re: usb stick install

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 12:45:33PM -0400, kalin wrote:

> i'm not sure what more exactly except the command itself with the output:
>
> # dd if=NetBSD-6.0_RC1-i386-install.img of=/dev/disk2s2 bs=1m

I don't know what operating system this is -- I'm guessing OS X -- but
that command is almost certainly not right.  You need to use the raw
device not the block device, and you need to use the whole-disk device,
not the device for some particular partition.

Also, the 1MB blocksize is not a good idea.  It is too large and will
give unpredictable results on some systems particularly when using the
block device.

If it is in fact OS X you're using, try:

dd if=NetBSD-6.0_RC1-i386-install.img of=/dev/rdisk2 bs=64k