Re: Filesystems in NetBSD

Am 06.08.2012 01:13, schrieb sergei karhof:
On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 11:43 PM, Lukas Laukamp <lukas%laukamp.me@localhost>
wrote:
Am 05.08.2012 22:58, schrieb sergei karhof:
Hi, I am new to NetBSD, so forgive me if this question has been asked
many times.

Which are the better supported filesystems in NetBSD, and what is
their current status (practical usability)? I am especially interested
in filesystems like BtrFS and ZFS. In case these two are not yet
supported, what NetBSD-supported filesystem comes closest to them?

Thanks

Serg
Hello Sergei,

a ZFS port is available on NetBSD but it's in a beta state. See this page
for further information: http://wiki.netbsd.org/users/haad/porting_zfs/

Best Regards
Thanks, Lukas.

For the time being, I am thinking that until ZFS or BtrFS are fully
tested and ready on NetBSD, it may be wiser to stick with a filesystem
that is ready and mature. So I am turning my attention to NetBSD's
native filesystem.

Can someone tell me if the native NetBSD filesystem has a good support
for Extended Attributes? In particular, what are the limitations to
the maximum size that can be taken up by the extended attributes of a
file?

Thanks

Hi,

I would simply test ZFS. I think that a BtrFS port will not appear because it's only designed for Linux. It's simply something like a ZFS paradigmatic coded filesystem under a GPL license (ZFS would never come into the Linux kernel because of the license). FreeBSD has already made very but experiences with ZFS (look at projects like FreeNAS) or the FUSE project also implemented a good working way to use ZFS. ZFS it self is a good filesystem with a great codebase and so I would give it a chance.

To find out more about the features of the NetBSD standard filesystem (it's UFS2 like on all the other BSDs) you can look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_File_System

Best Regards