Re: Filesystems in NetBSD

> Hi, I am new to NetBSD, so forgive me if this question has been asked
> many times.

> Which are the better supported filesystems in NetBSD, and what is
> their current status (practical usability)? I am especially interested
> in filesystems like BtrFS and ZFS. In case these two are not yet
> supported, what NetBSD-supported filesystem comes closest to them?

> Thanks

> Serg

I'm curious about LFS, seeing it in NetBSD but nowhere else that I can find.

I see BtrFS being introduced in Linux but haven't heard of any attempt so far
to introduce BtrFS to the BSDs.

ZFS has been introduced to FreeBSD, but it takes some time to get the bugs out;
that figures to be the case also in NetBSD.

I know Linux can run on FAT32, one example being when the System Rescue CD
(sysresccd.org) is written to a USB stick.

This makes me curious as to whether NetBSD can run from FAT16 or FAT32, though
surely FFSv1 or FFSv2 would be better.

Linux can also run from XFS, I don't think any BSD is ready for that.

DragonFlyBSD has a file system for large disks or partitions, Hammer, but I
don't know of Hammer being used in any other OS.

Tom