Re: NetBSD on tablets?

Hi John,

On 7/26/2012 4:03 PM, John Nemeth wrote:
On Dec 16, 10:19am, Scrap Happy wrote:
} On 7/26/2012 12:36 PM, herbert langhans wrote:
}>  On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 12:08:37PM -0700, Scrap Happy wrote:
}>>
}>>  I assume this is sheer fantasy, but has any work been
}>>  done on porting NetBSD to any of the "tablets" available?
}>>  If not, is this due to:
}>>  - lack of interest
}>>  - lack of personnel
}>>  - lack of documentation
}>>  - lack of "other" resources

      - lack of ability to talk to hardware

Yes, I considered that the "documentation deficiency".

      - lack of apps
      - lack of good UI

I don't see these as real issues.  If you run X, do you
consider it as having a "lack of apps"?  Or, a "good UI"?
Getting a working port makes the rest of these things
(relatively) easy...

}>  Has there some standard established with typical tablet-processors
}>  together with graphic chipsets? Are these touch screens working with a
}>  mouse driver?

Possibly.  Although I believe somebody was working on a graphics
tablet driver, which would probably be similar.

}>  How difficult is it to compile Android sources for NetBSD? I think about

Most Android apps are written in Java.  I wouldn't be surprised if
a good chunk of Android itself was written in Java.

I suspect you could write an emulation layer to run *under*
Android to effectively host an X server and skip NetBSD
entirely on that platform.  But, then you're stuck working with
Android and having to run real clients "elsewhere".