Re: NetBSD on tablets?

Hi Herb,

On 7/26/2012 12:36 PM, herbert langhans wrote:
On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 12:08:37PM -0700, Scrap Happy wrote:

I assume this is sheer fantasy, but has any work been
done on porting NetBSD to any of the "tablets" available?
If not, is this due to:
- lack of interest
- lack of personnel
- lack of documentation
- lack of "other" resources

I.e., what (realistically) could be done to facilitate
this sort of activity?

- lack of keyboard :)

Surely, that's not a real impediment.  With only a cursory
exposure to only a *few* such devices, it seems like easy
ways around that would include:
- USB keyboard
- BT keyboard
- telnet
- graphic "touch keyboard"

I suspect the real problem is a dearth of detailed information
on the actual underlying hardware.  Or, hooks to expose that!

I think NetBSD is almost the right thing for such downsized 'computers'.
But there is this user interface - on the tablets you need some window
manager and a bunch of applications what you can use with a touch
screen. Some meta-pkg would do the trick, maybe. But with the usual i/o,
like keyboard and terminal it is just not what the tablets are made for.

No reason you can't use a touch interface talking to apps running
under NetBSD/X, etc.  Or, "(user-) output only" applications...

Has there some standard established with typical tablet-processors
together with graphic chipsets? Are these touch screens working with a
mouse driver?

No idea -- though something of the sort seems likely.

How difficult is it to compile Android sources for NetBSD? I think about
some touch-apps what are required to make this tablet doing something

I've no first-hand knowledge of Android.  Wedding oneself to Google
seems as foolish as "committing" to MS...  <frown>

--don