Re: Web browser: stuck with Opera-9.62

Hi,

Magnus Eriksson wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2012, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

Chromium is an abominium based on WebKit which is a terrible beast. Firefox and Seamonkey are actually quite nice to use, but since they rely on GTK2 stuff the maze of dependencies is incredible

Is WebKit really that bad? I've been meaning to check out www/midori, which from what I can tell seems to be a relatively lightweight browser that still does everything I need (ad blocking, user scripts, etc); and it is built on WebKit.
Well depends on how you look at it, as far as "standards" compliance and quality of rendering it is quite a good engine. I was referring to they way it is done, especially for an Objective-C end-user. So a more portable and reusable engine was created, but for an AppKit programmer it looks like a mess. Even a new language ObjC++ is needed!

(And it uses GTK2 too, so I suppose that's a negative. But GTK is one of those things that you seem to always end up with anyway, when you start pulling in "desktop stuff".)
Well, it may use other libraries too. You need one library at the end usually. Doing X11 through Xlib and Xt is an old magic art. If you like opera 9, you will dislike opera 11 if you export display: they redid the X backend and is now so slow over exported displays I don't use it anymore.

Riccardo