Re: Monitoring Apache

Am Montag, 28. November 2011, 20:06:26 schrieben Sie:
> Anyway, I would like to monitor Apache, get the website statistics and
> would like to get a convienient view on the things going on there.

Depending from what do you need or mean with "monitoring" and in what details
there are different solutions.

If you want to generate usage statistics about your websites - usually from
log files - you may have to take a look at:

 - webalizer
 - awstats

(we run both in different environments/situations - each with maxmind GeoIP
for geolocation of source hosts/users). Both tools generate (mostly static)
HTML pages which could be served by a httpd to clients.

if user tracking is important for you
 - Piwik

may be the better choice.

To monitor the apache process, system and network ressources there are many
solutions possible. A simple but helpful way is to activate the apache server-
status module.

We are using nagios for proactive ressource / availability monitoring in
combination with cacti (RRDTool) to generate some graphs. If nagios is to
difficult for you you may look at the zabbix monitoring system.

And yes - X is not reuired for any of this solutions, but there are several
third party client apps out for i.e. X, Android/iOS, M$ a.o..

cheers,

Niels.
--
---