Re: Installing netbsd on another drive using existing installation

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 11:56:59AM -0500, Louis Guillaume wrote:
> On 11/17/11 6:25 AM, Mayuresh wrote:
> >I have a machine whose CD drive has gone bad and somehow BIOS is not
> >recognizing bootable USB sticks. (Both CD and bootable USB are fine as
> >they work on other computers.)
> >
> >Perhaps I should sort out problems with CD drive and BIOS.  But, as of
> >now, I do have an external HDD on which NetBSD is already installed and
> >this computer boots with this external HDD.
> >
> >Now I want to install NetBSD on internal HDD of this computer by booting
> >it using this external HDD with NetBSD.
> >
> >Is there any way to do that?
> >
> >Mayuresh.
> >

> Assuming you have 2 drives sd0 (the internal, target disk) and sd1
> (the external, from which you're booting, that has the install),
> this is the approach I'd take.
>
> While booted off of sd1...
>
> 1. Format and partition sd0 to match sd1.
>
> 2. mount the partitions on sd0 on /mnt
>
>   # mount /dev/sd0a /mnt
>   # mount /dev/sd0e /mnt/usr
>   # mount /dev/sd0f /mnt/var

Thanks. Useful instructions.

I just want to do very minimal steps in installation phase and would
prefer doing installation etc by bootng the new system.

Also I don't necessarily need to replicate everything from sd1 to sd0.
E.g. /usr etc. - unless it is _required_ for a successful boot up from
sd0.

Mayuresh.