Re: USB 3.0 (Re: NetBSD 6.0)

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011, Magnus Eriksson wrote:
On Thu, 13 Oct 2011, Thomas Mueller wrote:

I can't even access the USB 3.0 hard drive under NetBSD as USB < 3.0.

Really? I was under the impression that USB 3 was supposed to be backwards compatible. Do you get errors, or nothing at all when you plug it in?

...or are there already USB 3-only machines out there?

It appears FreeBSD and Linux are the only viable open-source general-purpose OSes on my new computer.

Well, no one is going to think less of you for switching if another OS suits your circumstances or hardware better.

Or even better, liaise with hselasky@freebsd and work on updating his NetBSD-3 era port of his USB stack (which is now the default in FreeBSD) to NetBSD -current. devpubd can only make things easier.

--
Stephen