Re: pkgsrc vs. binary packages

Neal Hogan <nealhogan%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> I have a  basic 5.1, i386 install and want to have a browser that has
> flash 10 capabilities (ch 10 of the netbsd documentation). I can
> install midori, xfce4, and vim no prob via remote binary (i.e.,
> pkg_add -v xyz). It seems that nspluginwrapper is not a binary pkg, so
> I attempt to install it via pkgsrc but there is a dependency
> discrepancy (i.e., the version of, say, python, that pkgsrc wants for
> nspluginwrapper is not the version that has been installed as a
> dependency of another pkg install . . . again, the only other packages
> that I've installed is vim, xfce4, and midori).
>
> Is there an issue with keeping versions of pkgsrc-packages and binary
> packages consistent? That is, why am I encountering dependency
> discrepancies between packages?

Two points:

  many things are available via source but not binary packages because
  they are non-Free, but the distfiles are available from upstream

  you can mix/match compiling and binary packages, but you must take
  care that they are from the same version of pkgsrc

So, what I would recommend that you do is:

  find a set of packages from a bulk build that you want to use

  figure out which stable branch they are built from

  get the sources from that same branch

So if you use:

  ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/i386/5.1_2011Q2/All/

then

  cvs up -r pkgsrc-2011Q2

and then the version that pkgsrc sources say you should have will match
the binary versions you have installed.

You may decide that you want to have newer versions of some things but
not update everything.  That can sort of work, but it really doesn't in
general.  So my advice is to either

  stick with the tag for the binaries you are using (easier, less up to date)

or

  build everything from source (harder, more up to date)