Re: Current status of the user wiki

On 06.09.2011 02:13, Amitai Schlair wrote:
> There's an auto-generated sitemap:
> <URL:http://wiki.netbsd.org/wiki/sitemap/>. It's just a PageSpec, so a
> more targeted table of contents is a matter of determining what's
> worth targeting.

Then we are just missing the targets :)

The PageSpec is a good idea to see what is found inside the wiki
rapidly, but I am rather thinking about the structure.

It boils down to one single problem: when I am writing something that
doesn't really fit inside a man page, I am always asking myself where it
should go: /docs or /wiki. And believe me, it isn't particularly easy.

As it stands, having /docs "wikified" is not really possible; I lost a
good amount of "expressiveness" when converting docbook pages to
markdown. I gave the Xen port page a try but this was clear right from
start.

Do you know if it's possible to input a docbook page directly inside
ikiwiki? Last time I looked I had to write the templating engine first :/

>> Creating pages with ikiwiki isn't really that much "user friendly" when
>> compared to other forms of Wiki
>
> I wouldn't disagree; see
> <URL:http://wiki.netbsd.org/wiki/todo/make_it_easier_to_add_new_pages/>.
>
>> Perhaps wiki should be
>> populated first, and let users/contributors fill the parts.
>
> I like the idea. Any developer with a vision for how content should be
> arranged, go to it!

There are other wikis around, IMHO there's no need to reinvent the wheel
here.

>> For the rest it does not seem to be that well indexed by
>> <insert_your_favorite_search_engine>
>
> Not a structural problem, rather the wiki is explicitly rejecting
> robots for the time being (awaiting more content, a working
> user-editing feature, and then finally a wider announcement).

Good to know.

Cheers,

--
Jean-Yves Migeon