Re: Ports & Packages infrastructure & feature import. (fwd)

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 10:19 PM, Jukka Ruohonen <jruohonen%iki.fi@localhost>
wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 07:24:26PM +0200, Marc Balmer wrote:
> > If only more developers would develop a sense of quality and at least
> > test-compile their stuff, or run a relase build, before committing these
> > figures would already look a lot nicer...
>
> Sense of quality has very little to do with build breakages. Statistically
> speaking, most of the failures are due trivial things (prime example: set
> lists and other oddities in the build system). (Also: not all of us have
> 12-core machines that would be required to do release builds before each
> commit, possibly on several different architectures.)

Agreed. Most of us have i386 or amd64. However, before I sent a diff
for a committer for review, I should make sure that it compiles properly,
and the developer doesn't have to do any re-adjustment. If we both
work on the latest -current, then there's no issue. Now if my current
is slightly outdated compared to him due to some ``build issues'', the
quality of my diff becomes shoddy.

If It's a device driver diff, I'd like users to test it in case it causes
a regression of some other hardware revisions. It's hard to get
testers to run current if they know that it often has issues as Mark
previously said.

> Regressions on the contrary are a real issue practically in every operating
> system project. Fortunately NetBSD has made some good progess at this
> front.
>
> That's really great. ATF & cococinelle are really great tools. One of them
have been imported inside another BSD.

> Loganaden and others who may want to try and track -current, a good way to
> help is to watch the automated test results and report possible
> regressions.

It's logan btw ;-)

Yes, binary snapshots run properly. as an example, on my netbook, ACPI
supports
more features like screen brightness adjustment, and Xorg's is faster.

--
`` Real men run current !''