Re: Competition (was: Ports & Packages ...)

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 11:55:54PM +0200, Magnus Eriksson wrote:
> I already caught some flak for crossposting to -users, so I'll snip
> all the advocacy bits and just hit a few points briefly.
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2011, Jimmy Johansson wrote:
> >Second, I think you can. You just have to take a bit of care.
> >I actually built this machine a few weeks ago. It runs NetBSD 5.1 if I
> >disable ACPI and NetBSD current I could install without changing
> >anything, but it was unstable until I set "USB controller mode" to
> >FullSpeed and after that it is rock solid.
> Good to hear.  What about 3D graphics acceleration, any problems
> there? That, and USB UMTS/3G modems is really the stuff I'm worrying
> about right now.

Well, I have

radeondrm0: Initialized radeon 1.29.0 20080613
info: [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
info: [drm] Loading RS780 Microcode
info: [drm] Resetting GPU
info: [drm] writeback test succeeded in 1 usecs

raven$ glxgears
2967 frames in 5.0 seconds = 593.359 FPS

but I don't care that much about graphics acceleration, so I don't know
if that is good or bad, but it just worked out of the box.

I ran "Xorg -configure", added some keyboard stuff and that is the
config that I'm running with. This is current though.

That said, I don't have the latest and greatest video card, as I don't
know what I would use it for.

USB UMTS/3G I know nothing about yet, I have had no reason to get one.

> >I actually kind of run Plan9... Just for fun though. See cool above.
> I'm trying it out this weekend.  :-)

I think more people should try other options once in a while to see what
other people are doing. Just because something doesn't get that much use
doesn't mean that they can't have good ideas. But I have always liked to
tinker with stuff and want something interesting, most people just want
to consume and have the latest and greatest.

If you don't shoot the bearers of bad news, people will keep bringing it to you.