Re: Ports & Packages infrastructure & feature import. (fwd)

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 07:39:18PM +0200, Julian H. Stacey wrote:

[snip]

> When BSDs don't co-operate, Linux wins.
> When BSD & Linux don't co-operate, Microsoft wins.

Nobody ever told me it was a competition. My gawd, we really let those
linux people get a real head start. How are we ever going to catch up so
we can win? What is the prize and isn't Apple competing too?

On a more serious note, as far as I know the NetBSD developers are more
focused on delivering a good, well designed and solid operating system
rather than competing with linux. I have no affiliation with the NetBSD
project, so that is my personal opinion as an outsider.

But you are right in some sense, communication is always good. It is
also a good way to get new ideas and a new perspective. I have used all
of NetBSD, FreeBSD, and OpenBSD. I run NetBSD at home and work at a
company that develops ontop of FreeBSD. All of those projects have merit
and I don't see any of them going away soon.

Regards,

Jimmy
--
If you don't shoot the bearers of bad news, people will keep bringing it to you.