Re: NetBSD vs FreeBSD

,--- You/Jeremy (Thu, 4 Aug 2011 11:21:46 -0500 (CDT)) ----*

| On Thu, 4 Aug 2011, Alex Goncharov wrote:
|
| > I seem to beginning to understand it: the problem may happen if you
| > combine building from ports/pkgsrc -- and "by hand". Right?
|
| Yes, by hand but also using ports/pkgsrc systems. That is a packager
| builds a package and the results and experience is based on what was
| installed on that developer's system. Another user of the port
| specification has a different environment which may result in a
| different build.

I see.

| > I see.  How does this work when one needs the information about
| > installed packages? E.g. for x11-related things (gconf), or for ODBC
| > drivers, which need some information from things like 'pg_config' or
| > 'odbc_config'?
|
| Some pkgsrc buildlink specifications have things like:
|
| BUILDLINK_FILES.subversion-base+= bin/svn-config
| So packages that depend on these have these symlinks in its build PATH
| before the system's possible versions of the same.

OK, thanks.

| > | Yes.  pkgsrc offers "staged" rc.d scripts, so they are installed as
| > | examples and optionally put in place to use (if a custom version is not
| > | already there).
| >
| > As in ports.
|
| As far as I see, FreeBSD ports does not install the rc.d scripts nor
| configuration files to any examples directory.  Maybe on a case-per-case
| basis and I am just overlooking it?

On my system (don't want to trim the long lists):

/bin/ls /usr/local/etc/*.sample | xargs -n1 -t pkg_which
=>
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/asound.conf.sample
alsa-lib-1.0.23
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/cdrecord.sample
cdrtools-3.00_1
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf.sample
isc-dhcp41-server-4.1.e_1,2
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/dhcpd6.conf.sample
isc-dhcp41-server-4.1.e_1,2
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/dict.conf.sample
dict-1.12.0_1
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/fetchmailrc.sample
fetchmail-6.3.20
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/mtools.conf.sample
mtools-4.0.10_3
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf.sample
portupgrade-2.4.8_1,2
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/portmaster.rc.sample
portmaster-3.9.1
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/smartd.conf.sample
smartmontools-5.41_2
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/sudoers.sample
sudo-1.8.1_5
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/wgetrc.sample
wget-1.12_4

/bin/ls /usr/local/etc/rc.d/* | xargs -n1 -t pkg_which
=>
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/rc.d/avahi-daemon
avahi-app-0.6.29
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/rc.d/avahi-dnsconfd
avahi-app-0.6.29
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd
cups-base-1.4.6_5
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/rc.d/dbus
dbus-1.4.6
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/rc.d/exim
exim-4.76
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/rc.d/fetchmail
fetchmail-6.3.20
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ffserver
ffmpeg-0.7.1_4,1
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/rc.d/fusefs
fusefs-kmod-0.3.9.p1.20080208_7
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/rc.d/git_daemon
git-1.7.6
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hald
hal-0.5.14_17
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/rc.d/isc-dhcpd
isc-dhcp41-server-4.1.e_1,2
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/rc.d/isc-dhcpd6
isc-dhcp41-server-4.1.e_1,2
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/rc.d/linux_adobe
acroreadwrapper-0.0.20110529
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server
mysql-server-5.5.14
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postgresql
postgresql-server-8.4.8_1
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/rc.d/smartd
smartmontools-5.41_2
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/rc.d/snmpd
net-snmp-5.5_4
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/rc.d/snmptrapd
net-snmp-5.5_4
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/rc.d/svnserve
subversion-freebsd-1.6.17_2

| (I do see some FreeBSD ports do install foo.default or foo.sample
configurations right in the
| /usr/local/etc/ but as far as I know this is not consistent and certainly
could be messy over time
| and with many packages.)

Haven't seen it to become messy.

| For pkgsrc, it is the default procedure fo any configuration file is
| installed to an examples directory.

ls /usr/share/examples/
=>
BSD_daemon/             cvsup/                  hast/                   iscsi/
                nwclient/               printing/
FreeBSD_version/        dialog/                 hostapd/                kld/
                perfmon/                scsi_target/
IPv6/                   diskless/               ibcs2/
libdialog/              pf/                     ses/
bc/                     drivers/                indent/                 libvgl/
                portal/                 smbfs/
bootforth/              etc/                    ipfilter/               mdoc/
                ppi/                    sunrpc/
cvs/                    find_interface/         ipfw/
netgraph/               ppp/                    tcsh/

| This is nice so you can easily compare any time. At deinstall time, it can
compare and remove
| installed configurations that have not changed. And on new install,
configurations may be
| different so new version is only into examples directory and a message tells
you about this.  This
| is consistent across all software in pkgsrc installing configurations.
|
| $ ls -l /usr/pkg/share/examples/wget/ /usr/pkg/etc/wgetrc
| -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  4224 Aug 26  2008 /usr/pkg/etc/wgetrc

ls /usr/share/examples/etc | wc -l; ls /usr/share/examples/etc | head -n 4
      71
README.examples
amd.map
apmd.conf
auth.conf

| I can easily tell pkgsrc builds to use /etc if I choose.

I don't see such a need with ports.

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov%comcast.net@localhost --