Re: Why are drives called "wd0", "wd1", etc?

On 08/04/2011 02:16 PM, Stephen Borrill wrote:
On Thu, 4 Aug 2011, Daniel Carrera wrote:
On 08/04/2011 12:49 PM, Martin Husemann wrote:
Also "man wd" explains the drivers inheritage:

DESCRIPTION
The wd driver supports hard disks that emulate the Western Digital
WD100x. This includes standard MFM, RLL, ESDI, IDE, and EIDE drives.

Thanks. That's very interesting. I didn't realize that something like
that would be in a man page.

Having useful man pages is another difference between Linux and NetBSD...

That may be true, but I don't think that this thread is an example. After the first reply in this thread I checked and confirmed that my Linux also documents at least devices in the man pages. I can do "man sd" and find out that this is for SCSI disks.

It just had never occurred to me to type "man sd" before.

Daniel.
--
I'm not overweight, I'm undertall.