Re: Mounting logical partition: invalid superblock error

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011, Mayuresh wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 06, 2011 at 12:50:36PM +0100, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> > If you want to reliably exchange data you will have to use ext2.
> >
> >     Kind regards
> >
> > --
> > Matthias Scheler                                  http://zhadum.org.uk/
>
> I am making a new disk where I can easily switch to ext2 or any other FS.
>
> Basically, I want to have Linux, FreeBSD and NetBSD on this disk while I
> want them all to share the /home directory.
>
> What FS will be advisable for /home in that case? It needs to be well
> supported by all three.

I'm using:

mke2fs -I 128 -L "Home" -O ^dir_index,^has_journal -v /dev/sd0e

the mke2fs is from sysutils/e2fsprogs in pkgsrc.

The -I 128 option isn't needed for -current (and possibly -5? cos netbsd
now suports 256 byte inodes)

> Is ext2 suitable for above purpose? Obviously I loose journaling as
> against ext3, and some of the ability to recover from a crash.

my /home is on a ssd, so it fsck's fast, but still not as nice as
journaling.

--
[http://pointless.net/]                                   [0x2ECA0975]