Re: Install NetBSD amd64 using dk wedges scheme

I do not have access to the machine right now, but I had a MBR table that looked
like that :

0: GPT Protective MBR (sysid 238) ...
1: Apple HFS (sysid 175) ... OS X operating system
2: Apple HFS (sysid 175) ... OS X /Users partition
3: NTFS ... Windows

I managed to solve the problem by removing the entry for OS X /Users entry, and
replacing it by the NetBSD entry, with proper start and size sectors :

0: GPT Protective MBR (sysid 238) ...
1: Apple HFS (sysid 175) ... OS X operating system
2: NetBSD (sysid 169 ) ...
3: NTFS ... Windows

This does not prevent OS X to work perfectly, as it still mounts /Users, which
is defined in the GUID partition table.

I did not have to change the bootloader, since rEFIt boots correctly into
NetBSD's installboot code. However, there is no point to have the boot shell,
since the USB keyboards don't seem to work in the boot menu. This makes it
impossible on a MacBook to select, for example, an alternative kernel from a
specific drive, ie : boot sd0a:netbsd -s. Are you able to use this shell with
your Macbook keyboard ?

Selon Taylor R Campbell <campbell+netbsd%mumble.net@localhost>:

} (I am not subscribed to this list, so please cc me in replies.)
}
}    Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 12:08:45 -0400
}    From: Philippe Saint-Jacques <philippe.st-jacques%polymtl.ca@localhost>
}
}    Finally, when I reboot the machine, rEFIt find my NetBSD installation (it
}    displays the option, and the NetBSD icon with it), but when I select it.
} in
}    boots in fact partition id #4 which is Windows. It should normally boot
}    partition #5. It doesn't even boot the kernel at the root of /dev/dk4.
}
} Can you show the output of `fdisk -vv wd0'?
}
} Your disk's mbr needs an entry for NetBSD, and it must satisfy certain
} constraints, before the rather finnicky Boot Camp will boot from it.
} My notes on my MacBook1,1 say that Boot Camp will boot from an mbr
} partition only if it is the active one and has boot code (of the
} `fdisk -i' sort, not the `installboot' sort).  rEFIt may have slightly
} different constraints, but I'm not sure -- I don't use it.
}
} There are also only three mbr slots available for operating systems
} (one of the usual four slots is taken by the gpt), so if you have two
} for Mac OS X and one for Windows, as your gpt suggests, you may be out
} of luck; I don't think that you can use an extended mbr for Boot Camp.
} It may be possible to merge two Mac OS X mbr partitions into one,
} since Mac OS X probably doesn't even look at the mbr -- but be sure
} you have a backup of the mbr before you try this!
}
}

Philippe Saint-Jacques