Re: Install NetBSD amd64 using dk wedges scheme

   Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 09:05:57 -0400
   From: Philippe Saint-Jacques <philippe.st-jacques%polymtl.ca@localhost>

   I managed to solve the problem by removing the entry for OS X
   /Users entry, and replacing it by the NetBSD entry, with proper
   start and size sectors :

   0: GPT Protective MBR (sysid 238) ...
   1: Apple HFS (sysid 175) ... OS X operating system
   2: NetBSD (sysid 169 ) ...
   3: NTFS ... Windows

   This does not prevent OS X to work perfectly, as it still mounts
   /Users, which is defined in the GUID partition table.

OK, that's what I expected.  Glad to hear it works.

Beware: if you ask rEFIt to synchronize the mbr with the gpt, it will
probably clobber the NetBSD mbr entry.

   I did not have to change the bootloader, since rEFIt boots
   correctly into NetBSD's installboot code. However, there is no
   point to have the boot shell, since the USB keyboards don't seem to
   work in the boot menu. This makes it impossible on a MacBook to
   select, for example, an alternative kernel from a specific drive,
   ie : boot sd0a:netbsd -s. Are you able to use this shell with your
   Macbook keyboard ?

This is caused by a bug in the Mac's BIOS emulation, reported in PR
port-i386/44563, for which a workaround was put into NetBSD-current a
couple months ago.  The patch applies cleanly to netbsd-5, but you
will probably want to use a current kernel anyway, so you might as
well use bootxx_* from current too.  For example, suspend/resume and
drm work in current but not in netbsd-5, at least on my MacBook1,1.