Re: system unresponsive on insertion of USB stick

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011, Marko Schütz Schmuck wrote:

This was someone else's stick, not mine. I doubt I will ever have to connect it again, but I was surprised at how my laptop reacted: in almost a decade of using NetBSD on laptops I hadn't seen anything like this and was wondering if someone had seen this before.

It's just anecdotal, but every single time I have had really severe crashes/lockups/problems like this with NetBSD -- except for *one* occasion just last week -- it has been related to USB somehow.

So IMHO there's probably something to be said about the USB code, and/or the amount of review it gets. (I know that the stuff that caused me most trouble in the past is fixed now though.)

I'd recommend borrowing that USB stick one more time, booting in single user mode, plug it in and write down everything that happens, and file a PR. Then never touch that hardware again.

MAgnus