Re: Dell PowerEdge Pro410 with NetBSD 5

On 19.02.2011 10:34, Philip Dodd wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 09:37:39 +0100, Philip Dodd
> <philip.dodd%free.fr@localhost>
> wrote:
> 8<----
>> Out of curiosity, has anyone experience of running a Dell PowerEdge
>> R410 under NetBSD 5 ?  I'm struggling to install a hosted dedicated
>> server of this type, and for the moment I don't know if it's related
>> to a bug on the iDRAC (that is known to the hoster when you use
>> virtual media to mount an ISO image on the console over a fairly slow
>> ADSL) or whether there is an issue booting the kernel that won't even
>> be solved by using physical media.
> 8<----
>
> Having taken the iDRAC out of the issue, I now boot the iso from an
> image on the partition using MEMLINUX booted from GRUB.  I realise this
> is a convoluted way of doing things, but it's the only workaround I've
> found for not being able to get physical media in the server, and not
> having to use the virtual media feature of iDRAC which is known to the
> hoster to corrupt ISO images.
>
> Anyway, the top and bottom of it is that NetBSD and the Dell PowerEdge
> R410 seem to hate each other.  The install kernel starts to load but
> very early on  (before the green console text usually, or just after the
> Regents of the University of California) then the whole machine freezes
> (IPMI connection is even lost).

Hmm, that's something that ought to be analyzed with Dells... It
happened also with a M710. Could you try that one out, if possible, please?

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2010/12/29/msg015230.html

(basically, you perform "modules off" at bootloader prompt proceeding
further with boot)

Thanks!

--
Jean-Yves Migeon