Re: AW: Re: Dell PowerEdge Pro410 with NetBSD 5

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 11:28:49 +0100, "Niels Dettenbach" <nd%syndicat.com@localhost> wrote:
...ESXi...
Why do you think about such a crazy stuff if you prefer XEN (and PV i
mention...)?
Before you go on ESXi i would recommend to use a XEN Linux Dom0.

Linux provides usually all drivers for the typical server management
hardware / features - so our typical scenario is running NetBSD as PV
DomU on a slight (Gentoo) Linux Dom0 which performs very well and
gives full access to the underlying hardware features (we mainly use
HP instead) and the ability to run manufacturer software on it
(instead of building your own Linux Dom0 you might try a ready to run
XEN Dom0 linux distri to check how far that suites your needs).

If there is any way to do this by NetBSD we would switch the DomU
into NetBSDs too.

hth
Cheers and good luck,

Niels.
Syndicat IT&Internet
http://www.syndicat.com

LOL - yes, I'll certainly try that. The hoster proposes Debian 6.0 as one of their standard OSes. I'll see if I can get a Dom0 from one of those.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Phil