Re: Dell PowerEdge Pro410 with NetBSD 5

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 16:37:04 +0100, Jean-Yves Migeon <jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost> wrote:
On 19.02.2011 10:34, Philip Dodd wrote:
On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 09:37:39 +0100, Philip Dodd <philip.dodd%free.fr@localhost>
wrote:
8<----
Out of curiosity, has anyone experience of running a Dell PowerEdge
R410 under NetBSD 5 ?  I'm struggling to install a hosted dedicated
server of this type, and for the moment I don't know if it's related
to a bug on the iDRAC (that is known to the hoster when you use
virtual media to mount an ISO image on the console over a fairly slow ADSL) or whether there is an issue booting the kernel that won't even
be solved by using physical media.
8<----

Having taken the iDRAC out of the issue, I now boot the iso from an
image on the partition using MEMLINUX booted from GRUB. I realise this is a convoluted way of doing things, but it's the only workaround I've found for not being able to get physical media in the server, and not having to use the virtual media feature of iDRAC which is known to the
hoster to corrupt ISO images.

Anyway, the top and bottom of it is that NetBSD and the Dell PowerEdge
R410 seem to hate each other.  The install kernel starts to load but
very early on (before the green console text usually, or just after the Regents of the University of California) then the whole machine freezes
(IPMI connection is even lost).

Hmm, that's something that ought to be analyzed with Dells... It
happened also with a M710. Could you try that one out, if possible, please?

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2010/12/29/msg015230.html

(basically, you perform "modules off" at bootloader prompt proceeding
further with boot)

Thanks!

Hi,

Yes, just tried it :
modules off
boot cd0a:netbsd

and it failed in the same way, unfortunately :(

10122912+5691904+783264=0x10d52a0

then the first copyright line was displayed and the whole machine froze, lost IPMI connectivity and the virtual console closed.

Thanks for the suggestion, it did look promising,

Best regards,

Philip