Re: New NetBSD user - ALTQ confusion

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 08:02:46PM +0000, Gerard Lally wrote:
> I am having some trouble getting ALTQ working in NetBSD 5.1 x86_64.
> The man page for pf.conf appears to suggest queueing is
> implemented in the packet filtering engine, the same way it is
> implemented in OpenBSD. My research so far, however, suggests the
> NetBSD ALTQ implementation consists of a separate daemon.
>
> This is what I have concluded so far:
>
> 1) for ALTQ to run in NetBSD PF needs to be compiled into the kernel,
> not run as a loadable kernel module;

it's possible

> 2) ALTQ is not configured in /etc/pf.conf, as the man page appears to
> suggest, but rather in /etc/altq.conf;

It depends. I think there's a way to get pf work with altq, but I
never went this route. I'm sure it's not in the default kernel config though.

The file /etc/altq.conf is read buy altqd, and this one it working; I'm
using it. But it's not enabled in the default kernel config either;
you need to rebuild a kernel with the "options ALTQ*" lines
uncommented.