Re: More persistent device names when using wedges & raidframe?

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010, Masao Uebayashi wrote:
On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 08:30:07AM +0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
peter%kerwien.homeip.net@localhost (Peter Kerwien) writes:

the degraded raid since my previous device name was dk3, but now it is
called dk2. So my entry in /etc/fstab is causing troubles during boot.

Is there a way to use UUID, labels or any other persitent device name
instead?

I have a patch to mount(8) that looks up the device name from
the wedge name, but people didn't like it.

See http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2010/10/17/msg004028.html
and following.

Personally I like this to be checked in with XXX comments.  (I bet
devfs will be never realized.)

Absolutely. My reading of that thread is that feedback was mainly positive, not "people didn't like it". We aren't going to hold up any other driver-related changes because of missing devfs.

--
Stephen