Re: Huawei E1820

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 04:15:07PM +0200, Jukka Marin wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 10:23:51AM +0100, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> > > I bought an A-Link WNAP 3G Mobile Router for the modem and it appears to
> > > work, but I can't disable NAT (or make it a brigde) an I'd rather skip the
> > > extra box if possible..
> >
> > The latter can't work, as you can't bridge PPP interfaces to Ethernet
> > (only Ethernet to Ethernet).  UMTS is just a fast serial line with PPP,
> > isn't it?
>
> But I think the router could still act a bit like a bridge, passing all IP
> traffic between Ethernet and UMTS transparently.

No, that's not possible. It only has one address for its end of the PPP
connection and has to use that itself; without manual configuration it
has no address left for the Ethernet (unless it plays dirty tricks like
NAT).

The best it could do is to operate a PPPoE server internally and
passing the PPP packets through that.

        -is