Re: Status of NetBSD 5.1?

On Nov 19, 2010, at 7:25 PM, Thomas Mueller wrote:

> From "sac" <sacchi%gmail.com@localhost>:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Thomas Mueller
>> <mueller6724%bellsouth.net@localhost> wrote:
>>> What is the current status of NetBSD 5.1?  Latest announcement was for
>>> 5.1_RC4, but I browsed ftp.netbsd.org and nyftp.netbsd.org and found 5.1
>>> already available for download, dating to Nov 7 or 11.
>

>> NetBSD 5.1 was released sometime back. Announcement:
>> http://netbsd.org/releases/formal-5/NetBSD-5.1.html
>
> I still wonder why NetBSD 5.1 announcement was so much delayed

There's more to putting out a release than you'd think.  It's not as simple as
running cvs rtag and typing up an announce message.  Going through all the
motions takes a fair amount of time, even if everything goes smoothly and
without error (this never happens).  Then there are deliberate delays involved
for things like letting mirrors sync.

In addition, people sometimes have more important things going on in their
lives, and this results in volunteer projects getting ignored.  In my case, I'd
much rather have been putting time into NetBSD than doing the things I instead
chose to prioritize, but that's life.

Realistically, it takes 7 days from tag to announce mail.  This time it took
13.  Those 6 extra days are unfortunate, but things could be a lot worse.

Soren