Re: use NetBSD to use grub to boot Linux on USB disk

Can't help you in this, but one suggestion:

Why dont you look at SYSLINUX?
Its purpose is to boot off a FAT16/FAT32 Partition and just works.

2010/9/2 Jeremy C. Reed <>

> I have this:
> sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <SanDisk, Cruzer, 8.02> disk removable
> It is format with DOS. I can mount with msdos fine.
> I am trying to get it to be bootable. (I will boot a live image where I
> extracted files from an Linux ISO image using vnconfig ...)
> I have grub-0.97nb9. I ran:
> $ sudo mount /dev/sd0e /mnt
> $ sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sd0
> The file /mnt/grub/stage1 not read correctly.
> I do have /mnt/grub/stage1. grub-install copied the files. I think
> problem is that it is looking for "/mnt" but is rooted to /.
> I also changed the /mnt/grub/ to contain:
> (fd0)   /dev/rsd0d
> (hd0)   /dev/rsd0d
> (hd1)   /dev/rsd0d
> But no change.
> If I don't use --root-directory, it ends up installing my
> /usr/pkg/lib/grub/i386-/ to my harddisk at /grub. (I do not want to
> touch my harddisk). And it has the same error "The file
> /grub/stage1 not read correctly."
> Any ideas?

Mit freundlichen Grü�en,
i.A. Markus Maiwald

Skype: mts.consult

Di-Do:    10:00h-16:00h
Fon:        +31 629 50 70 65

Apple for Works - Linux for Network - Windows for Solitaire

Nothing is easier than being busy and nothing more difficult than being

Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build
bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.