use NetBSD to use grub to boot Linux on USB disk

I have this:
sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <SanDisk, Cruzer, 8.02> disk removable

It is format with DOS. I can mount with msdos fine.

I am trying to get it to be bootable. (I will boot a live image where I
extracted files from an Linux ISO image using vnconfig ...)

I have grub-0.97nb9. I ran:

$ sudo mount /dev/sd0e /mnt
$ sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sd0
The file /mnt/grub/stage1 not read correctly.

I do have /mnt/grub/stage1. grub-install copied the files. I think
problem is that it is looking for "/mnt" but is rooted to /.

I also changed the /mnt/grub/device.map to contain:
(fd0)   /dev/rsd0d
(hd0)   /dev/rsd0d
(hd1)   /dev/rsd0d

But no change.

If I don't use --root-directory, it ends up installing my
/usr/pkg/lib/grub/i386-/ to my harddisk at /grub. (I do not want to
touch my harddisk). And it has the same error "The file
/grub/stage1 not read correctly."

Any ideas?