iscsifs

I am trying to use iscsifs.  I have tested it on i386/5.0 and
amd64/5.0.2 boxes.  In both cases iscsi-target seems to start fine.
However, when I initiate a connection I get the following (after
adding "nobody:chap:XXX" to /etc/iscsi/auths):

     i386# iscsifs -v -h 127.0.0.1 -u nobody /mnt
     iscsifs: puffs_mount: cannot open /dev/puffs
     iscsifs: puffs_mount: directory "/mnt": Device not configured

     amd64# iscsifs -v -h 127.0.0.1 -u nobody /mnt
     [no response of any kind on the terminal]

The only relevant information I am able to find is

     http://old.nabble.com/iSCSI-initiator-problems-td22433949.html

which seems to illustrate the same problem on a January 2009 -current
system.  The solution given is "modload puffs" prior to the iscsifs
command, but it also says "For 5.0, you will not need the modload
step."  In fact, running "modload /usr/lkm/puffs.o" gives errors on
both machines.

Does anyone have a working illustration of iscsifs in use?  Any
insight into what I should be doing differently?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Brook