Re: Installing NetBSD on Virtual Box

Hi--

On Aug 11, 2010, at 11:44 AM, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 8:05 PM, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>> What is the exact host CPU, and does it support VT-x/AMD-V?
>
> Intel Dual-Core Pentium something. I don't know exactly. Looking at the
> output of /etc/proc/cpuinfo on Linux I see the following:
>
> vendor_id     : GenuineIntel
> cpu family    : 6
> model         : 23
> model name    : Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU       T4200  @ 2.00GHz
[ ... ]
> Enabling PAE/NX and I/O APIC didn't help. I can't find settings for
> VT-X/AMD-V or Nested Paging.

Nope, it doesn't support 'em:

  http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37251

You've got a Penryn-based chip that's just barely too old to implement VT-X;
and only the Nehelem (ie, Core i3/5/7 and maybe the equivalent Xeon flavors)
support nested paging:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_VT#Intel_Virtualization_Technology_for_x86_.28Intel_VT-x.29

> I don't think we need to spend more time on this. I got QEMU working, so
> let's see if I can manage with that. Thank you for your help.

Fortunately, it sounds like you've gotten an alternative which is working.

Regards,
--
-Chuck