Re: postgresql 8.4 semaphores ...

On Sun, Jun 06, 2010 at 12:37:15PM +0200, Jean-Yves Migeon wrote:
|On 06/06/10 10:39, Malcolm Herbert wrote:
|>still, postgresql fails to start with an error complaining about semaphores
again (instead of memory):

|>|FATAL:  could not create semaphores: No space left on device
|>|DETAIL:  Failed system call was semget(31, 17, 03600).
|>|HINT:  This error does *not* mean that you have run out of disk space.
|>|       It occurs when either the system limit for the maximum number of
semaphore sets (SEMMNI), or the system wide maximum number of semaphores
(SEMMNS), would be exceeded.  You need to raise the respective kernel
parameter.  Alternatively, reduce PostgreSQL's consumption of semaphores by
reducing its max_connections parameter (currently 13).

|>starting to tear out my hair here ...
|
|Hmm, I don't think that the max number of sets or identifiers is the
|problem here, but rather the maximum number of memory that could be
|shared for locking. Do you still have ENOSPC when you increase
|'kern.ipc.shmmaxpgs'?

bumped that to 16384 (up from 4096) and still get the same error ... what would
be a suitable upper bound for this value?

--
Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
mjch%mjch.net@localhost                                                left