Re: Update existing system from sources

2010/1/16 Andy Ruhl <acruhl%gmail.com@localhost>:
> On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 3:44 AM, Stathis Kamperis
> <ekamperi%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>> Hi all.
>>
>> Does anyone have a working set of instructions on how to upgrade an
>> existing system from sources ? Specifically from 5.0.1 to netbsd-5.
>> I used to follow this
>> http://www.netbsd.org/docs/current/#updating-from-source, but now it
>> has been replaced by this:
>> http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-updating.html which doesn't
>> work. It misses the part where tools are supposed to be built.
>>
>> Also, can I retrieve an older revision of the former link ?
>
> I'm not sure what level you are starting at, so I'll give you a set of
> high level steps I use to do it. I'm not sure all of this is
> absolutely necessary, but it works. I'm not using root to do this. I'm
> assuming you're on i386 or amd64, and you're building on the same
> platform you're going to install on (no cross compiling).
>
> cd /somedir
> mkdir src
> cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs%anoncvs.netbsd.org@localhost:/cvsroot checkout -PA
> -rnetbsd-5 src
> mkdir obj tools dest release
> cd src
> ./build.sh -T ../tools -O ../obj tools
> ./build.sh -u -U -T ../tools -O ../obj -D ../dest -R ../release release
>
> This builds all of the install sets as if you were downloading them
> from one of the mirrors. Alternately, you could also build an iso
> image if you want to, check ./build.sh -h
>
> Then I copy the install sets to some known directory on the root disk,
> and copy the install kernel to /netbsdi (or something similar). Then
> interrupt the bootloader, and type this:
>
> boot hd0a:netbsdi
>
> And I'm in an install kernel. Choose the upgrade option, and there you
> go. Point it to wherever you put the install sets on the disk, and it
> upgrades your machine.
>
> You could do it the "old" way by trying to merge in the new binaries
> with some kind of "make world" incantation, but I figure why bother.
> The NetBSD team has built great tools to keep this upgrade working
> properly so I use them. I haven't done it the old way since shortly
> after I started using NetBSD over 10 years ago.
>
> And I rarely even bother building my own distribution anymore anyway,
> the NetBSD-daily stuff on nyftp.netbsd.org is plenty good enough for
> me. I do stay on relatively recent kernels like this though:
>
> cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs%anoncvs.netbsd.org@localhost:/cvsroot update -PAd
> -rnetbsd-5 src
> (edit the kernel config file in src/sys/arch/<arch>/conf)
> cd src
> ./build.sh ./build.sh -T ../tools -O ../obj tools (if necessary, you
> don't have to do this every time)
> ./build.sh -u -T ../tools -O ../obj kernel=<config file>
>
> I feel verbose today I guess.
>
> Andy

Doesn't really work here. Building (cleanly) release and distribution,
with your steps or the ones in the guide fails with different errors
each time (mostly nbmake not knowing how to build $foo target). I also
tried cvs update -dP in between. Anyway, I never had problems updating
my system up until 4. I don't know what happened lately. Thanks for
your lengthy email, but I quit.

Cheers,
Stathis